CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (Nov. 7, 2019) – Mercy Medical Center in Cedar Rapids has released its 2019 annual report, demonstrating its commitment to homegrown healthcare, care for our community provided by our community.
Mercy has been rooted in eastern Iowa for nearly 120 years. Growing with community needs, today Mercy is one of few remaining independent healthcare systems. This means decisions about how to best serve our neighbors are made locally, for eastern Iowans by eastern Iowans.
Once again, Mercy has been recognized with many quality awards and other achievements that demonstrate a strong strategic plan, the commitment of compassionate providers, and the delivery of new technology and exemplary healthcare.
Several of Mercy’s notable accomplishments from the past year include:
- Mercy Neurosurgery Clinic opened, providing back/spine and brain surgery to patients.
- The Birthplace renovated 100% of its rooms with advanced Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit technology, keeping families together even when a higher level of care is needed.
- Mercy’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit underwent a $7 million renovation, adding to its already outstanding care.
- The Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery team celebrated one year of providing exemplary open heart surgery to patients.
- The Bariatric Surgery team completed its 100th procedure.
- Mercy was the first hospital to create an anti-human trafficking staff position, assisting 58 survivors, and training 89 school nurses in Cedar Rapids and 2,000 medical personnel in Iowa.
- Mercy Gastrointestinal Clinic opened in a new space in the 8th & 8th Medical Park building.
- The hospital achieved reaccreditation by the Joint Commission – a symbol of excellence.
- The Family Caregivers Center of Mercy received the American Hospital Association’s Hospital Award for Volunteer Excellence in community service.
- The hospital was named one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals for the 7th consecutive year.
Visit www.mercycare.org/annual-report to read the full community report of fiscal year achievements.