A record-setting 15,800 people registered for the 32nd annual Especially for You® Race Against Breast Cancer, which took place recently at Mercy Medical Center. This year’s race came in just above the previous record of 15,792 participants in 2011.
Proceeds from race registrations benefit the Especially for You fund. This year more than $499,500 in registrations was raised for the fund, which provides financial assistance for breast and gynecological cancer screenings and services for area individuals in need. Since its inception, the Especially for You fund has helped more than 12,400 individuals with 31,700 services right here in Linn County.
General Mills and Mercy Medical Center are co-founders of the race, which includes a 5K run, 5K walk and a one-mile family fun walk. The course route finished at Greene Square Park in downtown Cedar Rapids where participants enjoyed music, kids’ activities, food truck offerings and a health fair.
The Especially for You Race has experienced tremendous growth since the first race in 1991, when 1,078 people participated. The race and Especially for You fund are dedicated to the memory of Sandy Knight, a Whittier resident and General Mills employee who died of breast cancer at an early age in July 1991. It was her wish to establish a fundraiser for breast cancer awareness and education.
2022 Race Details
-Total registrants: 15,800 (There were 12,806 in 2021.)
-Money raised for Especially for You: More than $499,500 in race registrations
-Total number of registered teams: 536 (Also a race record!)
Top Business Teams with Most Members:
1. Mercy Medical Center – 1,205
2. Fairfax State Savings Bank – 521
3. OBGYN Associates – 271
Top Family Teams with Most Members:
1. Team Deb “Live Life Until the End” – 227
2. BREAST OF FRIENDS – MONTICELLO –128
3. Morg’s Mission – 124
• Race participants represented 540 cities and 40 states, as well as Sweden and British Columbia
• The oldest registrant was 99 years old.
• Total number of cancer survivors registered for the race – 835
• This year’s T-shirt color was hot pink tie-dye. The color is changed every year.
• Race results will be posted at www.especiallyforyourace.org later today.