Did you know that more than 6,000 people are employed within the MedQuarter Regional Medical District in Cedar Rapids? Between large and small employers alike, there’s both a professional medical community and community at large to engage. This summer, the MedQuarter Regional Medical District invites all of those community members to participate in FREE, healthy and fun events right in the District!
A new event series called Summer in the Q offers one community engagement opportunity in the District each month. Events range from a 12-Week Walk Challenge to free lunches in celebration of the District’s 8th anniversary.
May 20 – August 8
The MedQ Mile 12-Week Walk Challenge kicks off on Monday, May 20. Participants of the Challenge can enter the weekly opportunity to win prizes by taking photos of themselves walking on the MedQ Mile and posting them to MedQ’s Facebook page. Weekly winners will receive gift cards to a restaurant, bar or retail location within the MedQuarter. The 12 weekly Challenge winners will be considered finalists in the drawing for the Grand Prize, which will be drawn during the August 8 event. Rules and guidelines for the 12-Week Walk Challenge are below.
Saturday, June 15
9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
PCI Art Show & Sale / Cedar Rapids Fire Department Open House / Historic Preservation Showcase
Physicians’ Clinic of Iowa will transform their Medical Pavilion at 202 10th Street SE into eastern Iowa’s premier art gallery featuring fine art, pottery, jewelry, glass art, fiber art and photography from more than 50 local artists.
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The Cedar Rapids Fire Department will host an open house at the Central Fire Station, 713 1st Avenue SE, celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the Fire Department.
11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The History Center at 800 2nd Avenue SE will be the epicenter for the “Preservation in Motion” event including free walking tours, bus tours and workshops at the Masonic Library, History Center, Genealogical Society and Ausadie Building.
Thursday, July 25
Coffee & Sunrise Yoga in the MedQ Park on 3rd
Join us for free coffee and a sunrise yoga session at 6:00 a.m. to start your morning with a peaceful workout before heading to work.
Thursday, August 8
11:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
MedQ Mile 12-Week Walk Challenge Finale
It’s your last chance to walk and participate in the Walk Challenge. Join us over your lunch hour (from 11 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.) for a one mile walk around the MedQ Mile before the last of the prizes and Grand Prize giveaway from the 12-Week Challenge. We’ll announce the week’s winner and the Grand Prize at 12:45 p.m. in the MedQ Park on 3rd. Participants must be present to win.
Thursday, September 19
11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
MedQuarter’s Celebr8tory Anniversary Lunch
There is such thing as a free lunch and it’s on the MedQ! Celebrate the District’s eighth anniversary as we offer 100 free grab & go lunches in the MedQ Park on 3rd (located on the northeast corner of Third Avenue and Eighth Street SE). Lunches are first come, first serve. September is the MedQuarter’s anniversary month, as the Cedar Rapids City Council officially approved establishing a medical district in Cedar Rapids on September 27, 2011. Learn about accomplishments of the MedQuarter Regional Medical District over the last eight years.
MedQ Mile 12-Week Walk Challenge Rules & Regulations
- No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.
- Must be 13 or older to enter.
- Contest/challenge begins on Monday, May 20 and ends on Thursday, August 8. Every Monday at approximately noon (12 p.m.) during the contest/challenge dates, the MedQuarter Facebook will create a post and ask contest/challenge entrants to leave comment with a photo from along the MedQ Mile. The photo can be of the person walking, a group of people walking, or taken of any landmarks/buildings/items along the route. Inappropriate photos will be removed by the MedQuarter Facebook administrator, and the contest/challenge entry will become invalid. It is the MedQuarter Facebook administrator’s sole discretion to determine what photos are inappropriate. At approximately 4 p.m. on Fridays during the contest/challenge dates, one winner will be chosen at random from the entries received. The final weekly challenge will differ from previous weeks. There will be no Facebook post created for contest entries. Instead, participants will walk any part of the MedQ from 11 a.m. -12:40 p.m. on Thursday, August 8. Then, they will sign in at the MedQ Park on 3rd to be entered to win the 12th weekly prize. At 12:45 p.m., the winner of the 12th weekly prize will be announced. Immediately following, a Grand Prize winner will be drawn from all 12 weekly winners. The Grand Prize winner must be present to win.
- Contest/challenge entrants must post a photo from anywhere along the MedQ Mile to enter. The MedQ Mile route can be found at https://themedq.com/plan-your-visit/things-to-do/medq-mile/.
- Contestants may only comment on the official contest/challenge Facebook post one time per week during the contest/challenge period.
- Contestants must use a different photo each week in their contest/challenge entry. For example, a photo used during week one of the contest/challenge can not be used in week two of the contest/challenge.
- Each weekly contest winner will receive a $25 gift card to a business in the MedQuarter. Winners will be contacted via Facebook. A comment from the MedQuarter Facebook will tag the winner informing them they that they’ve won. Winners must pick up their prize at the Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance (501 First. St. SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401).
- If a winner does not pick up their prize within 3 weeks of being awarded, another winner will be determined from the original contest/challenge entrants.
- Individuals are only eligible to win one weekly contest. For example, if an individual wins during the first week of the contest, they will not be eligible to win another weekly contest during the 12-week contest/challenge.
- The Grand Prize winner will be selected at random during the finale event on Thursday, August 8, with the drawing happening at 12:45 p.m. Must be present to win.
- All contest/challenge entrants grant the MedQuarter Regional Medical District permission the right to use their photo in any way the MedQuarter Regional Medical District deems fit, including promotional materials both online and in print.
- All contest/challenge entrants grant complete release of Facebook
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- All rules subject to change.